Wickerhamomyces anomalus, also known as Pichia anomala and Hansenula anomala, is frequently associated with spoilage or processing of food and grain products. Its capacity for growth on a wide range of carbon sources at low pH under high osmotic pressure and with little or no oxygen enables it to propagate in a wide range of environments (4). It is a non-Saccharomyces wine yeast that contributes to wine aroma through the production of volatile compounds. In recent years it has been used as a biocontrol agent against other fungi due to its ability to produce mycocin killer toxins (3, 9). It has been studied for its cyanide-resistant alternative oxidase activity (1, 2), and it possesses an active beta-glucosidase that plays a role in wine fermentations (5-8). The haploid chromosome of H. anomala has been reported to be seven to nine, with sizes ranging from 850 to 3500 kb in different strains (3).
- Minagawa, N., S. Sakajo, T. Komiyama, and A. Yoshimoto. 1990. Essential role of ferrous iron in cyanide-resistant respiration in Hansenula anomala. FEBS Letters 267:114-116.
- Minagawa, N., and A. Yoshimoto. 1987. The induction of cyanide-resistant respiration in Hansenula anomala. Journal of Biochemistry 101:1141-1146.
- Naumov, G. I., E. S. Naumova, and J. Schnurer. 2001. Genetic characterization of the nonconventional yeast Hansenula anomala. Research in Microbiology 152:551-562.
- Passoth, V., E. Fredlund, U. A. Druvefors, and J. Schnurer. 2006. Biotechnology, physiology and genetics of the yeast Pichia anomala. FEMS Yeast Research 6:3-13.
- Quatrini, P., S. Marineo, A. M. Puglia, C. Restuccia, C. Caggia, C. L. Randazzo, G. Spagna, R. N. Barbagallo, R. Palmeri, and P. Giudici. 2008. Partial sequencing of the beta-glucosidase-encoding gene of yeast strains isolated from musts and wines. Annals of Microbiology 58:503-508.
- Rosi, I., M. Vinella, and P. Domizio. 1994. Characterization of beta-glucosidase activity in yeasts of enological origin. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 77:519-527.
- Spagna, G., R. N. Barbagallo, R. Palmeri, C. Restuccia, and P. Giudici. 2002. Properties of endogenous beta-glucosidase of a Pichia anomala strain isolated from Sicilian musts and wines. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 31:1036-1041.
- Swangkeaw, J., S. Vichitphan, C. E. Butzke, and K. Vichitphan. 2009. The characterisation of a novel Pichia anomala beta-glucosidase with potentially aroma-enhancing capabilities in wine. Annals of Microbiology 59:335-343.
- Wang, X. D., G. Q. Li, D. H. Jiang, and H. C. Huang. 2009. Screening of plant epiphytic yeasts for biocontrol of bacterial fruit blotch (Acidovorax avenae subsp citrulli) of hami melon. Biological Control 50:164-171.